Teach English in Japan: BY Teachers FOR Teachers in Japan!
On ESL Teaching/EFL Teaching
Down to earth advice on How to Teach English in Japan
"Finally a site that is `POSITIVE` about
teaching English in Japan!"
How to Teach English in Japan
Pictured: Our family at Tokyo Disneyland some years ago now.
My name is Kevin R. Burns and I have taught English in Japan since
1989. I love it! Japan is a great place to live and raise a family in many, many ways. We own a small chain of English schools with branches in Machida, and in Minamiashigarashi, near Odawara, Kanagawa.
Need a Cheap Place to stay in Japan?
Or you could stay in my Canadian home in Japan! It was imported from Cloverdale, BC, and built in Kanagawa. you can read more about it:
Stay in a Victorian style house from Canada, in Japan. Pictured below:
Sorry where was I? Oh yah,...
My wife Ikumi, teaches at a junior high school. I teach English at Kevin`s English Schools (my wife chose the name), and at Tokai University.
All articles here are by me, unless otherwise stated.
Note: No Canadians were harmed in the making of this website......
Well, maybe Bob, but he deserved it. He really did.
Previously I have taught at Nunoike/St, Mary`s College in Nagoya,
ECC, The YMCA, The Cultural Homestay Institute, and Keio SFC.
If you have something you`d like to say about living in Japan, teaching in Japan or traveling Japan, send us your article!
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org As well we need:
lesson plans, course designs, and teaching activities that work for you.
We imported all the materials and fixtures for this house from
Canada. It came pre-cut and was then built in our town in Japan.
Teach English in Japan - My Story
I had done some ESL teaching in Vancouver, and in my twenties my brother encouraged me to think of teaching on the Jet Program or otherwise working as a TEFL teacher in Japan. I wondered though about how to get a working visa for Japan, about Japanese apartments, and how to find a good English school here. I read as much as
I could and had to buy many books back then. I wished there had been a site like mine in 1989.
I told my friends and family in Canada I would open an English school in Japan,....they laughed. I told my father I would go
to Japan, and if I stayed I would open a school. His response was:
"Are you crazy!?"
We opened our first school in 1991 and it grew to 125 students within about 10 months. I was forced to hire two part-timers to teach everyone! We opened our second school two years later. Sometimes you have to go against the grain to do what you were meant to do.
I have taught all levels and ages from kindergarten on up!
Each level and age group is different of course and requires different skills.
If you are interested in teaching English in Japan, learn from my
hard-won experience. At this site I will guide you through the process of becoming an EFL teacher in this very exotic part of Asia. I will tell you which qualifications you need, how to get a good job, and about how to avoid some of the pitfalls that can befall a new teacher here.
Learn from the collective knowledge of my wife, myself and all of my
friends and colleagues who also teach in Japan!
You too can share your Teach English in Japan, stories.
Pictured: Another view of our home, Guest house, and flagship English school in Japan
- Our Guesthouses
- Our Guesthouses
- The ESL Teaching Blog
- esl teaching blog,teach in japan,
teach english in japan,teaching english in japan,teach english overseas
- Search: search our site.
- Students1, advice and help for how to improve your English!
- Students2, advice in Japanese about how to study English
- Forum: teach English in Japan forum
- Live the Japan Adventure
- Live the Japan Adventure: subscribe to our free newsletter
- International Teaching Jobs: teach in Japan
- International Teaching Jobs: employers post yours for free. Teachers check out all the jobs available now throughout Japan.
- Teach in Japan at a Big School
- Teach in Japan: Information about some of the big English schools in Japan.
- First Steps
- First steps to teaching English in Japan, what do new teachers need to do before they come?Decide on which country is best for you by reading up on the countries and the English teaching situation the
- Interview Tips
- Interview tips: how to land a good teaching position in Japan.
- Working visa japan
- Working visa japan: Which visa to get and how? Also about how to get a working holiday visa. The situation for Americans is more complex as they cannot get a working holiday visa.
- Teach English in Japan
- Teach English in Japan: tesol, teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages. "The organization was created out of professional concern over the lack of a single, all-inclusive professional orga
- Teaching English in Japan: some of the different kinds of teaching you can do.
- Teaching English in Japan, It has been a challenging year! --I Thought I was going to die in the earthquake, then nuclear fallout, and last but not least, the challenge of raising two teenagers! It is
- Good English Schools Japan
- Good English Schools Japan --a comprehensive list.there is an abundance of good schools here, but you will want to be sure you choose to teach English in Japan for a good English school and not fo
- English School Japan
- English school Japan: a list of good schools to teach for. If you want to teach in Japan, be sure to check all of our lists of English schools. Teaching English in Japan
- Teaching Jobs Japan: English Schools in Japan: Q-Z
- Teaching Jobs Japan: a List of English Schools in Japan
- English Teacher Jobs in Japan
- English Teacher Jobs in Japan: lesson plans, TEFL resources and articles about teaching. Plus best and worst experiences teaching in Japan.
- Teach English Jobs
- Teach English Jobs, RANT! or RAVE! about a School you have taught for in Japan!
- ESL News: News about teaching English in Japan.
- ESL News: The News on ELT teaching in Japan.
- JET Program
- Jet Program is increasingly looking like it will be a thing of the present and future with announcements by the Japanese government. It is an official Japanese government program that some suggest
- Teach English Online: various ways to teach English on the internet
- Teach English Online: the benefits, the challenges and the joys of teaching from the comfort of your own home.
- English Teaching in Japan Universities
- About English teaching in Japan universities, "Many of these places (universities) have overtly discriminatory hiring practices towards their full-time (joukin) educators/staff on the basis of extran
- Peace Boat learn more about this great ship and trip around the world!
- Peace Boat,Peace Boat - VOLUNTEER ENGLISH / SPANISH LANGUAGE TEACHERS FOR GLOBAL VOYAGES GET, Peace Boat's language training program is now accepting applications for English and Spanish language in
- Japan FAQ
- Japan FAQ: Questions about working and living in Japan
- Japan Living
- Japan Living is all about living and working in Japan. Learn about living and working here from those that do!
- Living in Japan
- Living in Japan: information and advice about living here. To make Japan fun and not unbearable, you need a decent if not a nice place to live. Where you live of course, makes a huge differ
- Travel in Japan
- Travel in Japan: There are many different kinds of hotels in Japan. Probably more than you will find in your home country. Each hotel serves a different purpose. If you know what you are look
- Japan History
- Japan History: The Japanese called this the Pacific War and indeed it was a war of this great big ocean. It pitted two of the greatest navies the world had yet known in mortal battle across this imme
- TEFL Young Children
- TEFL Young Children: teaching english to young children
- Teaching English to Kids
- Teaching English to Kids, there are many challenges and things to watch out for. Many have chosen to teach English in Japan, and many have gone before you. So luckily there is a wealth of shared acti
- Methods in Teaching English
- Methods in Teaching English: almost no prep activities, how to use graded readers,reading circles,where to get training,movie projects,getting students talking without textbooks,Liar,Liar Pants on Fir
- Teaching English to Junior High
- Advice on teaching English to junior high school students in Japan.
- Methods in teaching English introductory questions
- Methods in teaching English introductory questions: a sample lesson plan to teach students how to ask questions to someone they`ve just met.
- Classroom Management
- Classroom management for novice teachers: advice for new teachers
- Motivating Japanese Students
- Motivating Japanese Students: articles about how to motivate Japanese to learn English.
- Teaching English in Japan
- Teaching English in Japan: Associations you can Join
- Teaching Vocabulary
- Teaching Vocabulary, What are some effective strategies for teaching vocabulary to our ESL/EFL students?
- Vocabulary Lessons
- Vocabulary Lessons, see our collection of worksheets and lessons or upload yours and share.
- Vocabulary Exercises
- Vocabulary Exercises, exercises to get your students using their vocabulary
- Vocabulary Flashcards
- Vocabulary Flashcards, help in teaching vocabulary in Japan.
- Vocabulary Games
- Vocabulary games, Vocabulary games online can enhance the experience of your students, while helping them to learn English in a fun way. by K. Ali If you want to improve your English vocabulary and
- Vocabulary Quizzes
- Vocabulary Quizzes, some websites where you can get some good vocabulary quizzes for yourself of your students.
- English Grammar Lessons
- English Grammar Lessons, easy English grammar - basic English is not difficult or shouldn`t be. It is just a case of learning some basic rules of this language, this system for communication, we cal
- English Grammar Exercises
- English Grammar Exercises, What is grammar? Grammar is simply the rules or system of a language. The sub-parts of grammar include things like: syntax, phonetics,morphology and semantics. English t
- Grammar Worksheets
- Grammar Worksheets that will help in your English classes.
- Grammar Practice
- Grammar Practice, how can we help our students to improve their English grammar in Japan?
- Grammar Quizzes
- Grammar Quizzes, with the advent and popularity of the internet, students and teachers are now blessed with many educational resources, including grammar tests that they can access and even take onli
- Spelling Lessons
- Spelling Lessons, classes that will get your students spelling correctly and in a fun way.
- Spelling Worksheets
- Spelling Worksheets, where to find them and how to use them in your English classes.
- Spelling Test
- Spelling Test, helping your students to learn to spell. How to conduct spelling lessons, spelling tests, and improve our students spelling? Spelling skills vary from person to person, but for an
- Correct Spelling of Words
- Correct Spelling of Words, Spelling Reform - Spelling Quizzes Weak spelling is not a problem only ESL students face. Even native English speakers have trouble with spelling. The best way to impr
- Spelling Games
- Spelling Games, find games and activities that will help you to teach your ESL/EFL classes here.
- TESOL Certification
- TESOL Certification, what can it do for you?
- TESOL Jobs
- TESOL Jobs, learn more about TESOL and find a great job! TESOL is a great association and active too. They have conventions, a few journals, and of course, great members! Have you ever thought
- TEFL Certification
- TEFL Certification, there is no international, accredited organization governing all TEFL certificates and which institutions accept them or not. Indeed, no certificate will be accepted by all instit
- Teaching English TEFL
- Teaching English TEFL: teaching English from children to adults.indeed the Grammar Translation Method doesn`t work, unless perhaps you are trying to teach translators, but not teach people to speak En
- EFL Books
- EFL Books: Read or add your review of EFL textbooks.
- ESL Teaching
- ESL Teaching,there are many kinds of teaching you can do in Japan. Of course there are many methods for teaching English. Read about some of them at the following link. ESL Teaching: methods of teachi
- ESL Activities
- ESL Activities, and ideas that will help in your teaching in Japan, and have your students shouting for more!
- ESL Conversation
- ESL Conversation, how to teach it, where to get jobs, and more about ESL Japan.
- ESL Listening
- ESL Listening, Japanese are often surprised that they cannot understand English. One reason is that they watch movies with Japanese subtitles. If Japanese can slowly, little by little, watc
- ESL Lessons
- ESL Lessons, some advice and methodologies to help you teach English well to your students.
- ESL Lesson Plans
- ESL Lesson Plans: ESL Communication Circles. Each class is different, but Thomas C. Anderson discusses a great activity, that works for most if not all English classes in Japan. What do studen
- ESL Games
- ESL Games: When you teach in Japan, you need some activities to liven up your English class.
- ESL Teaching Resources
- ESL Teaching Resources: free resources for teaching ESL/EFL. Where to find the best flashcards on the internet? William Osler, a Canadian Physician said, “Observe, record, tabulate, communicate.
- ESL Books
- ESL Books, reviews of books, plus you can add your own. An open secret for teachers is that they can approach publishers of ELT (English language teaching) books and ask for a free copy. You just Ema
- ESL Worksheets
- ESL Worksheets and ideas that will help you teach your students at home or abroad. Teachers face the daunting task of teaching English to students whose mother language is not English. This can be ver
- ESL Writing
- ESL Writing, In order to help your students to be better writers, it is essential to first understand your students and the writing process. There is a maxim: "Writing that can be postponed, will be.
- Education Resources
- Education Resources: links to great educational sites
- Free English Course
- Free English Course: study English for free online
- TEFL International
- TEFL International, where to find jobs abroad? Want to teach in London, Madrid, Taiwan, Thailand, China, the USA, Canada, Korea, or Japan? You can if you can teach English! Having the ability to teac
- ESL in Korea
- ESL in Korea, you can post your resume for free at our site, for ESL jobs in Korea. We have hundreds of employers reading our huge website every week. Post your resume for free now if you want to l
- Seoul Subway Map
- Seoul Subway Map, it is a huge city, so it is best to get a great map and follow it. Otherwise you will get lost. If the directions say to take Exit A6 from such and such a station, follow those di
- Cheap Flight Thailand
- Cheap Flight Thailand, how can you get there cheaply? I bought my ticket in Chinatown in Vancouver, and it was a great ticket. I flew on Korean air. It was an open ticket that allowed me to fly t
- Site Map1
- Site Map1 find what you are looking for at our site.
- Contact Us
- Contact Us: if you have any questions or have a comment.
- Teach English Children
- Teach English children: Fred Stuhr talks about his experiences of teaching English to kids in Japan.
- Teach English Asia
- Teach English Asia: how to teach English some opinions on L1 usage in the English classroom.
- Teach Business English
- Teach Business English: both teachers and students should have a plan.
- Teach English in Asia
- Teach English in Asia: YOUR stories about university teaching in Asia
- Spoken English Lesson
- Spoken English Lesson: ask your questions about teaching English in Japan! No question is silly. We will answer you!
- TEFL Thailand
- TEFL Thailand, As there is a shortage of English teachers in both Thailand and throughout Asia, there is a great demand for native English speaking EFL teachers in Thailand. If you have a dream of te
- Scientific Vocabulary
- Scientific Vocabulary, How to increase your Science Vocabulary Various strategies that help students quickly connect to new words are used to increase scientific vocabulary. Using rote memorizatio
- Teachers Games for Vocabulary
- Teachers Games for Vocabulary, Teachers Games for Vocabulary (for teaching vocabulary) Who said that learning new words is boring and daunting? Kids need to learn thousands of words so
- How to teach Vocabulary
- How to teach Vocabulary, in a Nutshell Having a wide range of vocabulary is a must in understanding and using a certain language, and this holds true with the Universal language- English. Vocabulary
- Tips Effective Resume Writing
- Tips Effective Resume Writing, you have about 30 seconds to a minute to make an impression on the personnel manager. Make the first impression a great one! Have a great looking resume. Either make i
- Provinces of Thailand
- Provinces of Thailand, sandwiched between the converging frontiers of Laos, Burma, and Thailand is an area known to the world as the Golden Triangle. Populated by hilltribes, the region has enjoyed t