Showa Women’s University
by Showa Women’s University
Showa Women’s University: the Department of English Language and Communication for the Full-time Teaching Position
Showa Women’s University
Department of English Language and Communication
3. Department URL
Human Science TESOL, TEFL, and/or Linguistics
5. Content of work
Skill classes and other classes, and other duties as described below.
Full-time associate professor or lecturer on a five-year contract, renewable.
Tenure may be granted before the term ends if his/her performance is satisfactory.
1-7-57, Taishido, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo 154-8533
8. Number of positions
One (1) Associate Professor or lecturer
All the following qualifications and conditions must be satisfied.
(1) Native Speaker of English is preferred.
(2) Required: Masters Degree or above in TESL, TEFL and/or Linguistics
(3) Experience teaching EFL/ESL classes at the university level
(4) One must be able to deal with various duties and committee work and participate in meetings in Japanese. Native fluency in Japanese is not required.
(5) The candidate must understand the rationale behind the foundation of Showa Women’s University and be ready to carry out education in accord with the school’s educational principles.
(6) The candidate is expected to perform duties related to the administration of academic and student-life activities for ELC students. He/she must be ready to supervise students at retreat facilities in Japan and at the Boston satellite campus (if necessary) and serve as class advisors providing advice to students on their course work and student life.
Followed by our school scales.
11. Deadline for applications
All documents for application must be sent by registered mail with “Application for Full-Time
Position” written in red on the envelop.
Deadline ( for receiving application ):Oct. 4, 2013 (Friday)
12. Starting date
April 1, 2014
13. Application materials
(1) Curriculum Vitae with a recent photo.
(2) List of publications.
(3) Original copies of three major academic publications with a summary of each (300 words). Photocopies of your publications also acceptable.
(4) Photocopy of your diplomas for all university degrees.
Notes. The applicants are advised to download the prescribed CV and list-of-publications forms (i.e., (1) and (2) above) from Showa Women’s University’s web site and follow those formats. Be sure to download the documents labeled as below.
＊During a later part of the screening process, the candidate may be requested to submit a health certificate. When requested, please arrange to have a copy of your certificate issued from a national hospital, a health center, or an equivalent medical institute. The certificate must be sealed in an envelope with evidence that the medical check-up has been conducted within the past three months.
14.Submit Applications to
The Department of English Language and Communication
Showa Women’s University, 1-7, Taishido, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo 154-8533
Note. Please write “Applications for Full-Time position” in red on the front side of the envelope, and send it by registered mail.
15. Selection process
Travel expenses will not be reimbursed.
(3) None of the documents submitted with your application will be returned.
16. Where to make contact
The Department of English Language and Communication, Showa Women’s University.
FAX 03-3411-5403 (We will not reply to telephone inquiries.)
E-mail:showaELC@swu.ac.jp (The title of the message should read: “Application for a Full-time Teaching Position.”